Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Tortilla Soup



Tortilla Soup

This recipe is a favorite of mine, and got excellent reviews from the taste tester aka fiancé (he’s biased towards Mexican-leaning dishes in general though.) This recipe is a life-saver for me though because it is no-brainer easy AND I usually already have everything I need for the soup. It’s also great now that the weather is getting chillier. Enjoy!!

Ingredients:

1 medium onion, diced (or equivalent amount of frozen pre-diced onions)
28 ounces diced tomatoes
10 ounces tomato paste
24 ounces vegetable broth
2 cups frozen corn
24 ounces black beans (preferably ones you have soaked yourself, but canned is ok as well)
2 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tsp chili powder
2 bay leaves
2 tsp cayenne pepper (or to taste)
Pinch of dried oregano
Pinch of dried thyme
1 tsp black pepper

Tortilla chips
Mexican blend cheese (optional)

Apparatus:

Crockpot
Stirring Spoon
Ladle

Process:

1) Place all ingredients (except for tortilla chips and cheese) in crockpot.
2) Stir. Place lid on crockpot. 
3) Set crockpot on low and leave all day. ( I left mine alone for over 12 hours and it turned out fine.)
4) Serve. Garnish with tortilla chips and cheese if desired.



Tortilla soup shown with chips and cheese

p.s. I have now added planning a wedding to the list of things I do!! I think that means we will be seeing strong emphasis on easy, quick, no-brainer recipes for the months to come. But, I am also sure I will be inspired by some of the fancy food that I have to deal with so there will still be more fun posts too!

3 comments:

  1. I've never used a crock pot before. Did you soak and cook the beans before you put them in there or did you just soak them? This might be a silly question but I've gathered everything to make this and want to get on it ASAP. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just soak the beans before putting them in there. The crockpot definitely takes care of cooking them! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was SOOO healthy pre-chips and cheese.

    ReplyDelete